This year, Black Friday falls on Friday, November 24 and Cyber Monday falls on Monday, November 27.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics demonstrated that retail turnover rose 1.4 per cent in November 2022, to a record high. The rise in turnover was driven by Black Friday sales, which boosted spending on clothing, footwear, furniture, and electronic goods.
In 2022, Australians spent more than $7.1 billion across the four-day shopping event, beginning on Black Friday, and continuing until Cyber Monday.
Considering current cost-of-living pressures, consumers are looking to take advantage of discounting in the November period. Here are a few tips to prepare your business for Black Friday and Cyber Monday:
- Analyse previous sales over Black Friday and Cyber Monday and look for consumer trends. Ensure you have adequate stock for customers.
- Prepare your customer service team and staff, consider a live chat or chatbot assistance to help your team and improve overall customer experience.
- Audit your website and online store experience. Check if your business contact details are up to date and policies around shipping, refunds and discounts are also up to date.
- Ensure your website and security is up to date and that your website can cater for an increase in traffic and that it is clear and easy to understand.
- Ask customers to sign up to your email marketing list and send a thank you email after purchase. Use the email to survey customers and offer them to leave a review. Incentivise reviews and customer feedback by offering a discount on their next purchase.
- Consider in investing in a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificate. This technology can prevent hackers from reading or accessing customer information.
- Make sure your payment technology is up to date, investigate using forms including PayPal or Apple Pay.
- Set up a reminder for items if they are left in the cart. Customers may require a prompt to remind them that they have items remaining that have not been checked out.
- Use your existing social media channels and other communication channels to promote sales and potential discounts. Use your current mailing list to promote Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, if it is relevant to you.
- Promote your website and contact details on your social media pages.
We look forward to seeing the result of the 2023 Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales and wish you and your team all the best as you prepare for these important dates. For more information or further assistance, please contact us on 1800 (RETAIL).
The National Retail Association represents more than 60,000 stores across Australia. It has been serving businesses in the retail and fast-food sectors for close to 100 years.
For more information, contact the National Retail Association Media unit on 0435 790 925