Updated 22 June 2021

From Sunday afternoon, face masks are mandatory in certain settings if you’re in several Sydney local government areas, including:
  • Randwick
  • Waverley
  • Woollahra
  • Sydney
  • Canada Bay
  • Inner West
  • Bayside


Who is required to wear a mask?

The indoor areas where a face mask must be worn are

  • retail or business premises that provide goods or services to members of the public who attend the premises, including
    • supermarkets
    • shopping centres (excluding an indoor recreation facility in a shopping centre)
    • bank branches and post offices
    • hairdressing, nail, beauty, tanning and waxing salons
    • spas, tattoo parlours and massage parlours
    • betting agencies
  • any part of a licensed premises that is used for the purposes of gaming, and gaming lounges
  • entertainment facilities
  • places of public worship being used for public worship or religious services
  • residential aged care facilities.

You must wear a fitted face covering if you

  • work at a hospitality venue located in the relevant local government area and
  • deal directly with members of the public.

Premises that are used for the purpose of providing health services are not retail or business premises.

Wearing a face mask in situations where you cannot physically distance (for example indoors at a public place) is strongly recommended.

Store signage to assist with communicating this requirement is available for download HERE.

Is retail trade restricted at this stage?

No. Retail businesses and food retailing businesses are not restricted at this stage.

QR code contact tracing

Hospitality venues (pubs, clubs, cafes and restaurants) and hairdressers are required to use the Service NSW check-in system. Other types of businesses can also choose to use this system.

Venues and facilities required to use electronic check-in systems for record keeping are:

  • Amusement centres
  • Aquariums
  • Business premises that are used for auction houses, other than clearing houses
  • Business premises that are used for nail salons, beauty salons, hairdressing salons, waxing salons, tanning salons, spas, tattoo parlours and massage parlours
  • Crematoria
  • Drive-in cinemas
  • Entertainment facilities
  • Hospitality venues:
    • Casinos
    • Food and drink premises, other than food courts – only for a person entering the premises to consume food or drink on the premises and persons who are staff and contractors
    • (c)    Micro-breweries, small distilleries holding a drink on-premises authorisation under the Liquor Act 2007 and cellar door premises – only for a person entering the premises to consume food or drink on the premises and persons who are staff and contractors
    • Pubs, small bars and registered clubs – for persons entering the premises, but not if the person is entering the premises solely for the purpose of collecting food or drink to consume off the premises
  • Function centres
  • Funeral homes
  • Information and education facilities (other than libraries)
  • Nightclubs
  • Party buses
  • Properties operated by the National Trust or the Historic Houses Trust
  • Public swimming pools
  • Recreation facilities (indoor)
  • Recreation facilities (major)
  • Sex on premises venues, being restricted premises where sex between patrons is permitted on the premises
  • Sex services premises
  • Strip clubs
  • Vessels used for hosting functions or for commercial tours
  • Zoological parks and reptile parks

Additionally, venues must make reasonable efforts to provide or use alternative record-keeping systems for people who do not have access to, or cannot use, a personal mobile phone or another device to use the QR Code Service to check in. This could include making a device available for people to register their contact details with support from staff if needed.